Linggo, Hulyo 15, 2012

Baking Mood: Apple Pie

Yes! You read it right, over the weekend I was in the mood for baking so I decided to make my ultimate favorite pie: French Apple Pie! (Nom nom nom) What you should know is that I am no baker (like watching Cake Boss though!) , but I can whip up a mean apple pie once in a while. (Thanks to my sis M for patiently teaching me the recipe-over and over again hihi I don't have the best memory!)

Anyway, I woke up extra early and went to the neighborhood grocery for my ingredients:


So here's what you'll need:

Crust:
1 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
3-4 tbsp cold water

Filling:
8 pcs small green apples or 4 big ones (I used 6 pcs of the semi-red ones. Fuji?)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp Cinnamon (I added another half tsp since I love Cinnamon! Teehee)
2 - 3 tbsp calamansi juice
2 tbsp all purpose flour

Topping:
1 cup brown sugar (Although my sister swears this is so sweet so I used 3/4 cup instead)
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup all purpose flour

Here's how you do it:

1. Combine flour, salt, and baking powder in a bowl. Cut butter in tiny tiny pieces and combine.
2. Mix!
3. Slowly add water until you can roll dough into a ball. 


4. With your rolling pin, roll out dough until 1/8 thick. (I have no idea what 1/8 is so I just rolled it out until it can fit my aluminum pan. Haha!)
5. Fit dough into pie plate and chill for ten minutes. (While that cools, I started with my apple filling.)


After momentarily wrestling my niece for the bowl, I start my apple filling.


6. After washing your apples thoroughly, peel them up and slice thinly.
7. Mix filling in a bowl.
8. Add all purpose flour and toss. (Naks toss.)


9. Prepare the oatmeal crumble top. Mix all ingredients in a bowl!
10. Now grab your crust from the fridge (all cool) and...
11. Sit them all side by side-oatmeal crumble topping, crust, and apple filling. (Oh so pretty!)


Assemble everything in the pie plate.


And pop in the oven (preheated to 375 F for 30 to 40 minutes)


In my case, my apple pies were in the oven for almost an hour and a half. My sister explained this, she said even though I set the oven to the right temperature, the heat might've fallen short. Hence she had an oven temperature. (Eh I have no idea, like I said I'm no baker.) I just let it sit there. To know if it's cooked, I poked the pie to see if the apple filling started to melt (caramelized in a way?)

Voila! (I baked three smaller ones since I had some apple filling left.)


I admit, they may not be the best looking pies, but darn it they tasted awesome! :) (Mental note: focus on them looking like decent pies next time. Hehe!)

Anyway, I hope this recipe helps! I'm a pseudo-baker/cook ya know! Have a delicious week, ya'll!

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento